Friday, November 11, 2011

11/11/11 Remembering

Today is always a day to think about freedoms. I am so lucky to live how I live. I have the freedom to go where I want, when I want and how I want. I am forever grateful.




This morning I watched the service form Ottawa. It was over by 10 am so I decided to go out to a service here. I was on my way to Museum of the Regiments, I know that it get busier and busier every year. I thought why not go where there won't be too many people. I thought about the new war monument off of Memorial Drive, It is between 14th and 10th streets with nowhere to park. I parked in Kensington and walked over. Just as I got there just as the military procession arrived. They got into position and people started to arrive. There was no bugler or pipes and drum. It was a silence ceremony. I liked it. I stayed to take pictures of the monument after.



I saw the photographer that has been around MRU taking photos recently and had a chat with him. Seems to be a nice guy even though he is a Scot, name is Evan. He told me about taking the photo of one of the students at the monument the other day. Talked about using the marble as a lighting source when the sun was shining on it. Apparently when the woman stood in one spot the sun reflecting off the marble lighting her perfectly. Interesting fellow.





Next I went down to the crosses setup on Memorial Drive. I passed Jane coming out and asked to park in her driveway. No problem she said. I meet Leslie Horton at the crosses sight as she was getting set up for a noon hour shoot. Had a quick chat and told her that I was liking all the girl power on the air these days. Even though they have a new guy there are still more girls on air. The amount of crosses have been enlarged and now include the Afgahanistian deaths. Lot's of people there walking with their families. I headed home and made a quick stop at Kensingston and Crowchild where there are a couple of plain white monuments. When I got home there was a new TV series on called D-Day to Victory. Watched that for the rest of the day.





LEST WE FORGET

No comments:

Post a Comment